We’re always looking for volunteers to join our Volunteer Support Groups – you only need to find a few hours a month to get involved – and you’ll be joining a wonderful group of enthusiastic supporters.
Volunteering on our vessels is an equally rewarding experience – and allows you to pass on your knowledge and skills to others.
There are lots of ways to get involved:-
Yacht Fleet – Volunteer Skipper/Mate
If you hold commercial qualifications that correspond with the MCA (Maritime Coastguard Agency) criteria for the positions of Skipper or Mate and would like to sail as a volunteer in that capacity please ring our Fleet Operations Manager John Farndell on 023 9283 2055 or email him at [email protected]
All Other Volunteer Crew Positions
Are you interested in becoming a volunteer Watch Leader, Deckhand or perhaps a Cook? Just follow these simple steps:
- 1. Join a voyage on one of our vessels for 4+ nights.
2. Let the Captain/Skipper and your Watch Leader know that you are interested in becoming a member of the Volunteer Crew when you join the vessel
3. Then demonstrate to them what you’re capable of on board!
4. If you receive a Volunteer Crew Recommend at the end of your voyage, you’ll be notified by Head Office and sent a Volunteer Crew Application Pack
5. Once all of the paperwork is completed you’ll be able to apply for your first voyage as Volunteer Crew!
All Vessels – Volunteer Youth Mentors
On all our youth voyages we have a Youth Mentor on board as part of our crew whose responsibility is the well being of all the young people during the voyage. This can be a very rewarding position as you are in a unique situation in supporting the Permanent Crew, Volunteer Crew and Voyage Crew as they develop during the voyage.
To be a Youth Mentor you will need the following qualifications and experience:-
- A National or Vocational qualification in youth work, teaching, social work or other relevant qualifications in a related field
- A minimum of 2 years front line experience working with young people
- A current, working knowledge of the safeguarding and other relevant legislation
Youth Mentors will need the written recommendation of the Youth Development and Training Manager and will need to complete a Volunteer Crew Application Pack including enhanced CRB and references. Individuals will only be eligible after completion of the Tall Ships Induction Training Programme with a visit to the Brig or Challenger Yacht. If you have the appropriate qualifications and experience and are interested in becoming a Youth Mentor please ring our Youth Development and Training Manager Chas Cowell on 023 92832 055 or email him at [email protected]