Gain a sailing qualification
You can work towards your Royal Yachting Association Start Yachting qualification on any voyage of 3 nights or more.
You can either join a specially dedicated Academy Voyage or just let your Skipper or Captain know at the beginning of your voyage that you would like to try and get this qualification; you can then purchase a RYA Log Book and the Permanent and Volunteer Crew will tell you what to do.
You will learn some or all of the following:
- Sea terms, parts of the boat, rigging and types of sails
- Use of winches and cleats
- How to tie important sea-going knots
- Understand the points of sail
- Steer the vessel under sail
- Keep a lookout for other boats and vessels on the sea
- Learn about weather forecasts
- Man overboard recovery and emergency drills
- Understand the importance of the right clothing and equipment
- How to handle the sails and use sheets and halyards
- Personal safety
If you do have some sailing experience already, you may be able to work towards your RYA Competent Crew Award.