Stavros S Niarchos Voyage 820

Entry Seven 

Today our watch started at 4am so we were woken up very early at 3:30 am.

It was very foggy out on the Bridge so we didn’t see the sun rise today. The fog horn had been sounding for quite some time during the night.

We managed to set a few sails today, then after a few hours the wind dropped. This gave more crew members a chance to climb aloft to the lower and upper topsails to stow the sails which they enjoyed.

Now we are moored up in the city of Cork, so we are looking forward to going for a look around our last port of the voyage.

Zoe, White Watch

Entry Six

The diary of a Bellringer.

We were woken by Henry, Watchleader, and we all had breakfast at 7 something. The morning meeting came around and Jill told us that we could have some Shoreleave.

Both myself and Julia, the Youth Mentor, went to the Anglican Christ Church Cathedral and rang the bells before the morning service. The normal bellringers were delighted to welcome us both and we rang rounds on six bells with the locals.

After that we returned to Stavros and had quiet time until after lunch when we had un-Happy Hour! Such fun!!

At 3pm we set sail for Cork… in the rain. Yuck!!

Jake, Blue Watch

Entry Five

Harness on and safety briefing done, the climbers were ready!

Three points of contact at all times, we set off up to the platform. As the ship swayed, we steadied ourselves for the climb to the Cross Trees. As we reached the Cross Trees, the foot holes shrunk and our fear grew!! Tackling the gap onto the Cross Trees caused a few problems but everyone took the leap of faith and pushed on to the rope ladders.

The brave souls dared to make the climb to the Masthead, taking on the strong winds and small foot holes to enjoy the view at the top.

The descent proved easier than the climb up. We all survived and reached our own personal goals.

Jemima and Maddie, Blue Watch


After a full night of rest, which has been a rarity over the last week, we set off from our overnight anchorage point of Dunmore East towards Waterford. The first obstacle we encountered was the dinghy race that was taking place around us as we left our anchorage.

After Captain Roy negotiated with them over the radio, we were able to slip through the crowd of much smaller boats. Blue Watch was on the Bridge, and to say the atmosphere was tense was an understatement.

The route between Dunmore East and Waterford was extremely narrow in places which made navigating the route that much more difficult. We passed some power stations and the ruins of old Abbey’s and finally made it to Waterford.

After a quick dinner time meal, we were allowed to set foot on stable land for the first time in what seemed forever. The city of Waterford seemed relatively small, however it was good fun to explore the area. Making our way back to the ship, I prepared myself for another full night of sleep followed by an early wake up call for Mess Duty in the morning.

Angus, Blue Watch

Entry Four

We had an early morning today, waking before 4am to take a Watch. It wasn’t all doom and gloom though, as we got to see a beautiful starry sky followed by a wonderful sunset (or even SUNRISE………? -YM Julia)

After spending hours of looking out for seaweed, we found ourselves in a minefield of lobster pots, which led to us helming Port and Starboard at a moments notice, until we were finally able to anchor.

Unfortunately, by this stage, Captain Roy had grown delirious avoiding ducks that appeared to be buoys.

After anchoring and climbing the rigging to stow the Lower Topsails, we settled down to a nice relaxing Inter Watch Quiz. All in all, a Grand Day!

James and Ben, White Watch

Entry Three

Today we saw dolphins whilst we (White Watch) escaped doing ‘Happy Hour’!

It was marvellous weather today, although the sea was rather choppy. This lead to Zoe stumbling off the helm platform and into poor Liz (Watch Leader). Thankfully, neither was hurt and after a good cup of tea with a Jellybaby everything was alright.

Whilst Harry was taking a nap we found ourselves taking multiple detours and spotting ‘rocks’ which actually turned out to be ships!

The day was made better by Kim and Laura, in the RIB, rescuing Sue (WL) and Kevin (FAP) from ashore in Fishguard.

When the wind picked up, we set a few fore and aft sails and later stowed them. All in all it’s been a Grand Day Out!

White Watch ( Harry – Ben – Andrew – James – Merryn – George – Zoe – Olga )

Entry Two

Started the day early, wake up call followed by a good breakfast.

Started training with Up and Over drills, which is basically climbing up a really daunting, scary looking ladder, (challenge by choice) in Port to make less danger for us, and climbing down the opposite side. When at the top we had a nice view of Swansea and were talked through it by the Volunteers.

The most exciting part was going out on the Bowsprit and taking the knots off to release the foresails. Looking down past my feet and seeing the sea rising from one metre to about ten metres up was interesting, especially while looking at the whole boat going like a huge seesaw in the very rough seas off South Wales today.

Quite a few of the crew needed to join Green Watch today due to the rough sea conditions!

William, Red Watch

Entry One

After a bumpy flight and overnight stop, arriving at the ship in Swansea was the easy part! Unfortunately, Swansea Port Authority tried to slow down the journey’s end, but seeing the ship for the first time made us forget about the locked gates. The two masts stood tall to the backdrop of Port Talbot, two icons of a different era in design. After dropping bags instead of anchors and marvelling at extremely hot showers, we began to learn the ropes, literally! From Clove Hitch to Gasket Hitches, as well as Easing and Hauling. The first day of our voyage was ram packed with fun and work. Following a night of Entertainment to remember, we all turned in for a well deserved rest.

James, Blue Watch