Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 - 3 Comments »
We have a Brig Training session from 4 to 7 Nov alongside in Southampton, for all Recommended Brig Volunteers new and experienced.
The Captain and crew are still working on the details of the training plan at this stage but we are hoping to include a mixture of theory and practical sessions on the following topics (in no particular order):
- Lifesaving Equipment
- Firefighting Equipment
- Emergency Procedures for MOB, Fire and General Emergency
- Procedures and systems for use of harnesses and tethers, working aloft and sail handling
- Dealing with rescue aloft scenarios
- Rigging and de-rigging gangways and pilot ladders
- Anchors; Clearing, letting go, weighing and securing them
- Theory and practice of bracing, tacking, wearing and basics of square sail trim
- Use and fitting of bulldog grips
- Slinging a stage
- Rigging a bosun’s chair
Part 1 of the training is aimed at improving the general voyage experience for our volunteer crew members and to help you better understand our systems and procedures. We consider this aspect of the training to be the most important, especially for volunteers who may be new to us.
Part 2 is aimed at volunteers who have already sailed with us a number of times but who may wish to further develop their skills, especially regarding rigging and maintenance tasks. This should also give us a brilliant opportunity to work with the volunteers to sign off the parts of the Tall Ships Academy volunteer crew training record book which we do not have the opportunity to cover during normal voyage routines.
The cost of the 3 night training session is £99 and if interested please email firstname.lastname@example.org or book online at www.tallships.org
Hope to see you onboard!